Hegomen Bishoy Andrawes’ in ‘letter to spiritual children‘:
“Now, regarding Dr. Atef Aziz (now Fr. Seraphim) and his group:
Fr. Seraphim is currently a respected monk in the Eastern Orthodox Church who started off as a consecrated deacon in the Coptic church. After many years in the ascetic life, Fr. Seraphim began to pass down the way he received. He taught mainly from the early fathers about the deep treasures of the Coptic Church and about restoring the image of God in us (taking off the old man and putting on the new one). Within his teachings, he at times mentioned the poor spiritual state of the Church. For this reason, he was asked to stop his teachings, and when his teachings still spread through his actual practice and the practice of those who received the way, he was excommunicated. Now I know that this will resound in a negative way with many of you. But, before you allow the logic of your mind take over, please take this information in prayer, considering the following:
- Fr. Mattew the poor, who is now considered a reliable source of spiritual light, was also criticized for speaking about the condition of the church.
- St. John Chrysostom was excommunicated according to Palladius (4-5th century church historian) by 36 bishops (29 of them were Coptic)
- Pope Tawadros himself attempted to restore this excommunication of Dr. Atef Aziz, but some of the bishops stood in his way
” end quote.
Full of inaccuracies:
- Dr. Atef Aziz and 12 of his disciples were excommunicated because of their heresies, prophesies, and practices, which they still spread and practice to this day. Not for the reason of mentioning the poor spiritual state of the Church. After 15 years of efforts by many clergy and consecrated to restore the repenting and attempting to straighten them up.
- The excommunication is a Coptic Synod decree, not a Papal one. The efforts to restore the “disciples” in the nineties, the investigations, as well as a 1996 warning decree were by the Coptic Synod. Pope Tawadros stated that this is a Synod’s business.
- Shortly after the letter, HH Pope Tawadros confirmed his support for the excommunication, and republished the Holy Synod's decree in the official Al Keraza, dated March 11, 2016.
- Inappropriate for a clergy to write, teach, and entrust against the leadership of the Church. Synod decrees and recommendations should be respected and followed.
- Soon after the hidden infiltration was discovered at St. Mark Church, the “brothers’ hurried to leave the Coptic Church and join the OCA with their leader.
- Comparing a heretic with St. John Chrysostom and Fr. Mattew the poor… ?! None of them would have even tolerated Dr. Atef’s Heresies. St. John Chrysostom is actually a reference in rebutting the heresies.
How many issues and fallacies you see in Hegomen Bishoy’s letter?